With the arrival of the spring season and warmer weather, it is finally time to head outside and soak in the warm sun. For pet parents, spring season means more outdoor adventures and outings with their furry friends. Although springtime is an apt season to get all outdoorsy, one should be wary of springtime health hazards lurking outside. Doctors at Virginia Beach animal hospital experience an increased number of emergency calls during spring ranging from heat stroke, dog bites to bee sting reaction.
When most of us are busy focusing on clearing winter décor and revamping the house in spring theme, we give little thought about pet-proofing our home and making it safer for our pooches and felines. If you have cats or dogs, you would want to steer clear of things that might be a threat to your pet. It is always advised not to delay bringing your pet to animal hospital Virginia Beach if you suspect an accident.
We all are aware of how irritating and awful seasonal allergies can get. But humans are not the only ones who are affected by seasonal allergies. Animals too experience distress with seasonal allergies. During spring, dust, and mold can trigger allergies in pets which leads to sneezing, coughing and some time to excessive licking or scratching.
Easter Lily and Daffodils
Spring is also the time to celebrate Easter. During Easter, it is a common practice to present Easter lilies to each other. If you too are planning to gift your close ones Easter lily or get one, keep it away from your feline buddy as it could lead to severe health complications if ingested. Besides Easter lily, daffodils are also toxic and should be kept away from the cats.
Vomiting and lethargy are some early signs of plant toxicity. If you suspect a case of lily ingestion, call your veterinarian immediately and rush your cat to the vet as it can escalate into kidney failure and even death.
During Easter, we enjoy decorating our homes with Easter eggs and Easter grass. But besides us, our curious cat pals also enjoy Easter decorations. Easter grass makes for an exciting toy for our cats which is very dangerous if ingested. Besides abdomen discomfort, animals experience vomiting, and difficulty in defecating if they ingest any non-food material.
You might have heard it a thousand times from your vet that chocolate is a big no-no for your pet dogs and cats. Since Easter is yet another time to get all merry and festive, chocolates are a big part of the celebration. If you have four-legged pals at home, we suggest you keep all chocolatey treats far from their reach.
Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic for animals. Be watchful if your pet vomits or experiences diarrhoea around Easter time as these are the indications of chocolate toxicity.